WINTERIZE YOUR SKIN!
Are You Ready For Winter?
Unfortunately, the dog days of summer are behind us, and it is time to put away the flip flops as the days get shorter, night falls earlier and it gets colder!
Winter is here and as we get ready and prepare for the harsh weather, such as cover the pool, bring in the patio furniture, and get the snow blower fired up, we need to also make changes in our skincare routine to battle the elements that may wreak havoc on our skin.
How Does Skin React To Cold, Dry Weather?
With the change in seasons, not only is there less humidity, colder weather, stuffier and dryer indoor environments, overly hot showers and changes in wardrobe, there are changes in the skin’s complexion and hydration status leading to dry, cracked, flakey, irritated, itchy skin that has a lackluster appearance.
As the humidity declines in colder weather the skin has less moisture leading to dry, flakey skin. Turning up the heat warms our body but causes water evaporation from the skin. This can accentuate the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles as the skin begins to look like a prune dried out from the sun.
To further complicated the issue, we continually go from cold outdoor temperatures and wind to centrally heated indoor spaces. These sudden changes in temperature cause the capillaries in the face to rapidly contract and expand leading to broken capillaries and red skin. Ramping up the heat in the shower or bath dissolves the skin’s protective barrier causing dryness and cracking of the skin.
So, harsh wind, cold temperatures, dry air zap skin of its natural oils leaving it stressed. These complications of cold weather can also create ‘comfort eating’ as we make poor nutrition choices that can further aggravate the skin’s complexion and integrity. Stress during this time of year may also cause skin issues.
So, let’s look at how we can mitigate these issues with simple steps to winterize and protect skin.
How Can I Protect My Skin In Winter?
- Change your routine. Summer skincare is not beneficial against the harsh effects of winter weather.
- Choose your cleanser and moisturizer carefully to ensure protection against the elements.
- Exfoliate skin 1-2 times per week.
- Avoid licking lips.
- Protect skin with sunscreen (yes, the sun’s rays are still harmful in winter months).
- Shorten showers and use warm not hot water
- Follow the 80/20 rule when making food choices and limit sugar and fatty foods.
- Use a humidifier specifically in the bedroom at night.
- Reduce stress and get 7-8 hours of sleep.
- Drink plenty of water to help stay hydrated. A general guideline is 64 ounces of water per day.
What Changes Are Needed In My Winter Skin Care Routine?
- Switch to a moisturizing cleanser.
- Use a facial brush to help exfoliate and prepare skin for products.
- Use a rich moisturizer as opposed to a light lotion.
- Look for products that offer extra hydration and gentle moisturizing exfoliation.
- Use products that rejuvenate skin.
- Choose hydrating masks.
- Don’t forget lip balm!
- Remember to add a makeup remover to your routine and use prior to cleansing with an ultra-moisturizing cleanser.
- Don’t forget the delicate skin around your eyes!
- Try extra essential oils for hydration.
- Use warm rather than hot water when cleansing skin.
- Use a toner to keep the skin’s pH in balance and help product absorption.
We cannot control the weather, but we can control how we battle the elements that wreak havoc on our skin. Click here for the complete line of winterizing products at Timeless Organics Skincare.
Leave a comment